Monday, November 14, 2011

The Linguist

The Linguist - Marcus. We made a plan to meet for drinks at the Kimberly Hotel. As I am hustling over to the bar in a cab, I get a call from him that the Kimberly is closed for a private party and we should meet at Houstons instead. Seriously? Houstons? It's not actually called Houstons anymore, but it's essentially the same thing.

I wait at the bar. I watch him come in, and look feverishly around, trying to find me. One of the simple joys I find with blind dates. He finds me, says Ciao and kisses me on both cheeks. Did I mention that Marcus is a nerdy Jewish boy from Manhattan?

We decide to change locations, and head to the Four Seasons which is also closed for a private party. Slightly deflated, Marcus continues to tour me around the midtown hotel scene, showing me around as if I'm a tourist, speaking a few different languages as he goes along. We settle on Bull & Bear at the Waldorf.

It is here, as I gulp dirty martinis, that Marcus enlightens me to the Vesper Martini, the chosen drink of 007. Then I learn that Marcus speaks Portugese, Spanish, and some other language. I stopped paying attention at this point, especially since I didn't understand what he was saying to me. What possesed this man to start speaking languages I couldn't understand and why did he think this was a selling point?

As he double kisses me goodnight and mumbled something else in another language, he shuts the cab door on this evening. Arrivederci! Adios! Adieux! Boa noite!

No comments:

Post a Comment