Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Brace Yourself...

As I write this, I need to put it out there, that the continued string of great material a.k.a bad dates, has led me to cancel my Match.com membership. Brian added to this, as did the comment from my sister as to "where do I meet these guys."

So Brian and I messaged back and forth via Match.com. Nice guy, 35 years old, lawyer, good family, you know... the usual. He set the date for Slainte on the Bowery on a Thursday evening. A lovely little Irish bar that I had passed many a time. I was a little tired but powering through, as I am getting ready I hear my phone ding. A message from Brian...

"I should warn you that I had braces put on my lower teeth this week. I feel like an adolescent"

What the hell am I supposed to do with that? I obviously can't cancel on him now! I try to neutralize, as any good therapist would, making a joke about a corn on the cob eating contest. I get to the bar, which is invaded with sports teams, seriously, we are the only ones not in matching jerseys in from the local kickball game. And there is brace face.

It wasn't all that bad. I probably wouldn't have noticed. He was clearly uncomfortable. I continued to make little jokes, and then asked - Why now? Why get braces now. My mistake (especially before a cocktail)! He proceeds to tell me about his jaw issues and his head gear, rubber bands and wax. The conversation never gets better. I down two Abita Purple Haze (best part of the evening) and let him know it was nice meeting him.

Best to you, Brace Face!!

No comments:

Post a Comment