Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Door Man

It's a coveted thing to have a door man when scoping out real estate in New York City. They do so much more then just open the door, they hail cabs, and accept packages, dry cleaning, and guests. I believe that they are the holder of all New York secrets, as I know they hold some of mine.

When hanging out with a guy who lives in a door man building, I believe that it brings a level of insecurity for me. First comes the need for acceptance, the question the door man asks as you enter the building, "excuse me, who are you seeing?" Then comes the waiting in the foyer for the guy to approve your arrival. Lastly, the late night/early morning exit. Never a good look. There is the walk of shame, which has its own level of humiliation, but its a whole other thing when it starts with the door man watching you skulk out.

It may be coveted, but for me, my walk up studio, with nothing more than a buzzer, makes me far happier! Who needs that extra level of shame masked as "security" anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment