Monday, September 6, 2010

Same Thing, Different Continent

Thinking things will be dramatically different in my social scene here in Cape Town, South Africa, as usual, I have been sorely mistaken.

Out with my roommates and other new friends on Friday night, we headed to Long Street. Cape Town's version of Bourbon Street and the hub of most of the night life here in town. After an hour or two at one bar, we ended our evening at a place called the Dubliner. A lovely little Irish bar with great music and cheap drinks. Next thing I know, its 4am in the morning (what do I still think I'm in New York?) and my roommate and I are chatting with two guys she had met the night before from New York.

Seriously, I come halfway around the world and end up chatting with two guys from New York, one living in Queens and the other in Nyack. Both in finance, of course... Unfortunately, there are few places to continue to hang out after 4am in Cape Town and my roommate decided it would be a great time to challenge the boys to climbing Lion's Head, working to convince the boy she liked that she could "beat him up the mountain".

I should have known better, working to leave well enough alone. Unfortunately, good judgement isn't always my strong suit. As my roommate and I heading back to the apartment of the two New York boys (I couldn't leave her alone after all), I kept thinking to myself, same shenanigans, different continent.

**Safety Note** I made it back to my apartment safe and sound at 9am. With my email requested by the boy living in Nyack, so we can "hang out" when I return stateside.

No comments:

Post a Comment