Sunday, October 30, 2011

The guy who made me microwave fish...

So this little fish tail had such promise! The back story: Met a good catch at the break fast for Yom Kippur. Tall, handsome, good job, funny, well educated and Jewish. Not too shabby. I inquire to the mutual friend, he gets my number, calls, and a date is set for him to cook me dinner the following week (his idea). I am curious at first. Cooked dinner in his apartment for a first date? My friends ensure me that he must be a good cook to invite me over for a home cooked dinner on the first date.

Armed with a bottle of wine, I head over to his apartment. As I am knocking on his door a very cute man is walking down the hall towards me. I look back at the door and realize, this is my date. Much cuter then a remembered! Problem is, he is getting there as I am, which means I have to watch him cook for me, quite a strange feeling when I barely know him.

The wine is opened and poured (on the heavy side for me). He made a lovely tomato mozzarella salad, with toothpicks for bite size snacking. While steaming some green beans he started to season some fish. I am halfway through the bottle of wine at this point, standing in the door way of his kitchen just watching. Out come the Ziploc steamer bags from the drawer and the fish go into the bags and into the microwave. 4 minutes later - dinner.

He sheepishly tells me I am not supposed to see this part, it is his secret, I tell him I see nothing and his secret is safe. I start the second bottle of wine and continue with this date that I believe is going quite well.

After one massive hangover and one week - no phone call. He will be forever known not as "the nice Jewish boy I met break fast", but as "the man who made me microwave fish for dinner"...

No comments:

Post a Comment