Sunday, April 4, 2010

Birthdays

So there is something about birthdays that lead us to regress back to childish antics. I think we tend to over look that time continues to pass and hope that with a tiara and ridiculous amounts of cupcakes (and by cupcakes I mean alcohol), we can actually reverse the aging process. I do believe it works, that is until the hangover sets in.

As I celebrated a friends birthday this weekend - the scene was set. There was 80s music, a comedy club, an overly confident birthday girl, fights, pissed neighbors, and ultimately, for the birthday girl, vomit in her sink. Ick!

As I paraded through the streets of the Upper East Side, with three boys in tow, I actually believed I was back in college, seeing myself strolling through the streets of DC, heading towards the dorm. As I pound on my friend's apartment door to return her brother and a random Swedish man, I feel empowered and totally in control, like only a confident college girl can. What I am overlooking is the fact that my shirt is drenched in beer, I am being followed by a man whose shirt could fit my 6 year old niece. And its 5:00am.

Waking up after only two hours of sleep, with make-up smeared on face and a foggy recollection of the night's events, I realize that it was a mere illusion, fueled by a mix of vodka and Bud Light. I am in fact thirty, and can't hang like I used to. It was fun while it lasted and that's got to count for something! In reality,however, I am still drunk and popping Advil and Pepcid.

No comments:

Post a Comment