Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Roommate, the Box, and the Virgin Mary

It's one thing to have a roommate. I mean, I get it. It's New York City, rent is high, but it does cause some challenges when with a guy. I went to hang out with this guy at his apartment. We were watching the college games and in walks in his roommate. After two hours of awkward conversation, just the three of us, the roommate finally leaves. Feeling like I'm sneaking around and excited as if my parents have just left the room, we start kissing.

The apartment is a one bedroom with a built wall, another fabulous component of the shared apartment in New York. The problem with this room (if you want to call it that) is that it's a box. I mean, it's small, but there are no lights, no windows, and no heat/air. Literally, a box. Freaked out and amazed that a grown man lives here, I try and focus on other things...

And there she is, staring at me, a portrait of the Virgin Mary! Shielding my eyes and worried that I will be burned by her glare, I look away. What do I find, a large cross! Now I believe I am damned to hell and this box will carry me to my grave!

I attempt to escape this environment, which is reminding far too much of my college past, running for the door, hoping I don't run into the roommate on my way out...

No comments:

Post a Comment