Sunday, February 7, 2010

A String of First Dates and One Night Stands

The glamorous life of a single girl in New York City. Its fun! Going on dates, having drinks, and cute boys? I mean, really, there isn't too much to complain about... Nevertheless, I'm starting to believe that this isn't going to be all that entertaining for much longer.

The first date. It's an exciting thing! You meet someone, have witty banter, exchange information, and a date is set. You go out (hopefully someplace fun), have drinks (a lot if the date is bad), and wonder what happens next. Not sure if there should be a second date but feeling as though you should give it a try...but the call doesn't come. Ah well, time to start all over again. After a bit, it loses its luster and gets harder to keep from feeling rejected. This is a big city after all, there are plenty of other fish in the sea. Blah, blah, blah... Is it just me or does the sea seem to be getting smaller and smaller.

The one night stand. Usually fueled by one too many glasses of wine, margaritas, or even more destructive - shots! Similar to the first date - without the actual date. You meet someone and have witty banter. There is no exchange of information prior, far too many drinks, whispers from your friends and you leave the bar. This is my favorite, like a movie or something, kissing on the streets filled with presumed passion and the thought (or at least my thought), "wow, this is so great, I bet this will totally work out." I know, I'm a hopeless romantic (who really needs to cut back on the cheesy movies). As the morning sun gleams in, with a dry mouth and smudged make-up, its back to reality, coupled with a wicked hang over. Numbers may be exchanged, pleasantries - "this was a lot of fun, I'll call you." Uh huh...yea.

Glamorous. Really. Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun and have no regrets. I'm not on the market for that next husband, but would love to string something better together.

No comments:

Post a Comment