Friday, November 5, 2010

Networking - The New Pick Up Spot?

So I'm looking for work and putting myself out there, making a ridiculous amount of networking events. Now, I have heard people make the comparison of networking and dating. I get that, really. I mean, you dress up, put on a happy face, and seek out that connection. But I didn't really think that people would be at these events seeking out jobs and more.

At a recent NYU alumni event, I started chatting with this man after the speaker finished. He was older and married, looking to stop selling his soul in finance and seek out something with a little more heart. As we took the subway back uptown, we continued chatting. I found him an interesting contact (and nothing more). We exchanged cards and he head back to the suburbs to his wife and kids.

A passenger sitting next to me on the train started laughing once the doors shut and the train continued uptown, asking if that was the end of a date. I laughed and stated that we had just come from a networking event together. To which I got the following reply...

"Lady, that guy was interested in more than you job aspirations..."

No comments:

Post a Comment