Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Abyss

Birthdays bring a lot of things up for a lot of people. I've always enjoyed my birthday. Usually, I'm not working, on vacation, in college it was always spring break, but as I am getting older, I see nothing more than this abyss, deep and dark, with no way out.


It's tricky at 31, what else is left? There are many milestones that have passed - turning 5 and starting school, turning 10 and getting into the all so important double digits. At thirteen I had my bat mitzvah, at 16 I got a driver's license, 18 I got freedom, 21 came with legal drinking. Then it gets a little dodgy. Twenty-five was kind of cool, I was at some disco in the Caribbean, and at thirty, I was feeling pretty confident and playing beer pong. I feel that I gained some ground in this past year, setting (and achieving) some incredible goals and feeling as though I was living my life for the first time in a while.

Tomorrow I will turn 31. Now is the time when there are less significant age milestones and more of the life milestones. These just don't seem to be coming, here lies the abyss - dark and deep, a little scary, and all unknown.

It's a good think I'm on this adventure kick lately, because it will really help me as I dive, head first, into this abyss...

No comments:

Post a Comment