Saturday, December 25, 2010

Why do we always need a direction?

As the year comes to an end, there always seems to be so much talk on accomplishments and goals for the future. Why do things in life need to be so concrete, so planned? The greatest thing about the adventures I have come back from recently is a lot of what I did was on a whim, without over thinking, without too much planning. I just did it, kept moving forward, with the faith that things would be OK. To be honest, the thought of this "go with the flow" attitude scared the crap out of me, and still does a little bit. But it felt good, I'm not going to lie.

I had high hopes that my trip, this grand adventure, would help me figure out the road ahead of me, where it would take me, what I should do, and who I am. No pressure, right? Instead, it helped me to see that I don't necessarily need to seek these things out, that maybe they will just come to me, so long as I keep pressing forward.

I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself

Thomas Merton Prayer


I don't need direction right now, I'll get there...

No comments:

Post a Comment