Sunday, May 9, 2010

Poppa

My grandfather is 93 years old. Most of the time, he can't hear anything. Our conversations include how's my apartment, how's my job, and the Red Sox or Patriots (depending on the season). However this weekend, while I was home, for the first time in six months, he switched the conversation up, to something I could have never expected.

He started off with the regular discussion, and I scream him my responses, expecting him to hear about half of what I am saying. Switching it up, he asks me if I have made any friends since moving back to New York. I tell him about the great group of friends I have in my life, thankfully. He probes further, "any special friends?"

I blush. Is this conversation really happening? I tell him that I am dating again, but no one special. He says he heard something from my aunt about a doctor. "What has happened with that?" Further embarrassment! Yea, that didn't work out. He continues to share just how happy that I am "getting back out there." Letting me know that he has no doubt I will meet that special someone and soon!

Really interested in continuing the conversation, he asks about the dates. Where they are from? If they are Jewish? What they do for work? He tells me that he would happy with anything and anyone I bring home. So long as I don't bring home a Black man. That, he tells me, he just won't tolerate!

"Could you do that for me Tootsie?"

What do you say to that? The man is 93 years old. Sure, Poppa, I'll try my best...

No comments:

Post a Comment